Sunday, October 15, 2006

EDUCAUSE2006: Marilu Goodyear et al.

Career Development for IT Professionals
Marilu Goodyear, Professor, Public Administration and former CIO, University of Kansas, University of Kansas
Susan E. Metros, Deputy CIO & Exec Director for eLearning & Professor, Design Technology, The Ohio State University
Eugene L. Spencer, Assoc. VP for Information Services & Resources, Bucknell University

IT leaders can come from variety of backgrounds: MG: sociology degree/librarianship, interested in values that underlie seeking of information; ES: administrative computing @ Bucknell, now leads merged library/it org; a few years ago had good people but not adequate skills, needed professional/org development to succeed; SM: artist, professor of graphic design—keen interest in design architecture; project mgmt; now design has been totally changed by technology

Skills needed: listening, change management, collaboration, project management
Values: mission/vision/goals really are important; if I’m not aligned, I should leave. I have an easier time working if my values are lined up with organization; people can then be successful: we value: excellent customer service, professional development and leadership though the organization, refuse to let each other fail; leadership at all levels, etc.

Professional development:
Early: important to be critical thinker in school, but in job need to know skills which may not happen in education; you should articulate the tools you have in resume; need people skills; need to understand academic lay of the land, academic is different
Mid: Fill your gaps; choice of path between mastery or management, should make a conscious decision here, should have mentor to help you figure out what to do, start networking and build relationships outside your institution; am I enjoying what I’m doing? If not, should do something else, not too late to change
Late career: reinvigorate, John Seely Brown “reverse mentored” with teenagers, share institutional wisdom of what you have gained (continuity/successor planning); you are part of something bigger (IT in higher education); need to provide guidance for younger people; Step out of the spotlight—now willing to be 3d author; Others are capable, consider what your subordinates can do outside of job description; Used to think my job was to take obstacles away now I think I need them to stretch; Know when to let go: they may want to leave to be successful, remember to thank them; be flexible: they are under pressure; allow them to grow in jobs; build on someone’s position; I am in a learning collaboration (mentoring), mentoring group, more for me than them. Get together and talk about jobs, it’s valuable

What about advocating for the profession?:
Within environment, help people understand what we do (e.g., librarians in new faculty orientation) ; job to make UKansas degree the best degree it can be, faculty contribute to growth of knowledge; Advocating for the profession, CALEA, net neutrality, etc. – put values forward; Want to be part of collaborative discussion, rather then being utility

Work/life balance:
Know I’m doing my life work, to my mission statement, get energy out of doing what I am, get energy out of being able to do the best I can, so choose a few areas where I could dedicate time effort to doing best job while still doing full range of job; collaborate with other people; Best advice: I’m the one who needs to take charge of this, “they” won’t fix it; need to assess yourself; make compromises; Not to be known for what I do, but who I am. That’s where your identity comes from; Have good handle on obligations/ commitments and don’t let them get out of hand; I spend time on organization so I don’t have to feel there is something I’ve forgotten, can focus in moment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home