Tuesday, July 17, 2007

4th North, midsummer

I needed to find two books, both on the 4th floor north, so spent a few minutes looking around.
  • There aren't many students on campus at all in the summer, so it wasn't surprising to find only two using study carrels on the whole floor. It should have been very quiet, in fact we send people there who are looking for peace, so I was surprised to hear a very, very loud air conditioning noise the whole time I was up there. So loud I wouldn't want to study there-- but maybe on a cooler day it wouldn't be so obvious? I need to check back and possibly follow up with physical plant.
  • The bathroom (women's) was beautiful-- very clean, very light, all stall doors open so obvious no one was in there, paper and soap full. I should go up there more often and should definitely compliment custodial staff.
  • Two completely empty and unused dictionary stands (or lecterns?)-- have those gone the way of the dodo? Should consider either putting dictionaries there or removing as they look pretty superfluous.
  • Shelving area is empty, except for some miscellaneous shelves, carts, etc. Don't know how much we use it during the term, but definitely not using now.
  • Area was totally lit-- I guess I had thought that the "just in time" lighting was all day, but maybe that just kicks in at night? Certainly didn't look scary or lonely (has been called both-- see University).
  • "OPAC" computers functional.
  • Campus services directory near elevators looked old (at least it was yellow), but date was 2/07 so someone must replace them regularly.
  • Saw V. shelving with a book cart, and also came across two students doing inventory (the regular "beep-beep" gave them away before I saw them) . All looked very busy and productive.
  • Both books on the shelf right where they should be (great job K)!
All in all it was cleaner, lighter than I expected.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home